* This article was originally published on Simply Laura Leigh *
January one of the best times of the year for journaling. With the previous year behind you and the new year just starting, there are endless things to journal about. It’s the perfect time to grab your journal and review what’s happened in the past year and think about what you want to do moving into this new year.
January is an especially great time to start your journaling journey. When you first start journaling, finding topics that inspire you to write can be difficult. But January naturally has a TON of topics that you could easily fill up an entire journal with.
These 19 journaling prompts are split into two different categories. Year in review prompts will help you get a better idea of what happened over the past year, how it affected you and those around you, as well as help you remember all the good things that happened. New year’s prompts will help you plan for the upcoming year and help you figure out what you need to do to reach your goals. Don’t forget to scroll all the way to the bottom to get your free printable!
Year in review prompts
- What was your greatest accomplishment in the past year
- What was one life lesson you learned last year
- Describe the previous year in 5 words
- What are 5 things you’re grateful for that happen last year
- What was your biggest failure and how did it happen
- Describe each of your children’s year in just a few sentences and what were their highlights and low lights
- If you could pick one word to describe your previous year what you with be and why
- What is your best memory of the previous year
- List two or three of the biggest challenges you faced and how you overcome them
- How did you change as a person last year
New Years Prompts
- What is your word for the new year and why did you choose it
- What are two or three habits from last year that you want to continue into the new year
- what is a new skill you want to learn
- What do you want for your family/children/husband in the upcoming year
- Where do you see yourself one year from now and what do you have to do to make that happen
- What books do you want to read this year/ what do you want to learn more about
- What are your resolutions
- Come up with a family bucket list for the year
- What’s one thing/habit from last year that you do not want to continue into the new year
Get a FREE PDF Of The January Journal Prompts sent straight to your inbox!
Subscribe (FREE) to my newsletter below and I’ll send a PDF copy of the January Journal Prompts to your inbox so you’ll have a copy to keep with you when you’re ready to start journaling! And as an extra thank you, I’ll also send you the password to my exclusive Resource Library! There you’ll have access to tons of great printables, checklists and resources for the holidays, motherhood, homemaking, DIY and so much more. And it’s all FREE!
- Why Moms Need To Add Journaling To Their Self-care Routine – And how to get started today!
- The Ultimate List of New Year’s Resolutions For Moms – Ideas to help you kick off the new year on the right foot!
Love it? Pin it?